Background

Friday, October 4, 2013

Narrative Writing begins..

For the first unit I wanted to start with my kids was narrative writing.
Why did I choose this genre?
1. Kids have the most experience with this genre, most of the time not knowing that's what it's called.
2. That's the first genre my reading curriculum addresses
3. I want the end writing piece to be a Halloween story

Here are the steps I took to plan the unit.
(Side note, I give my self permission to change, tweak, and revise this unit as much or as little as possible. I think this is important because in writing, we revise and edit our pieces to fit our needs, just as we should revise and edit our plans to meet our students needs :)

1. I decided on the two days I wanted to have my students share their Halloween stories (October 29 and 30)
2. I looked at what day I was returning back to the class (if you didn't read my first post, I was on maternity leave for the first 3 weeks of school)
3. I counted the days to discover I have about 20 days for this unit.
4. I then created a template for a Narrative Writing Anchor Chart. It included the key information about narrative writing (look for the picture of it on my next post)
5. I begun to search through some of my trusty teacher professional development books to help with the mini lessons I would be doing. Some of the resources I used are:


The 6 +1 Traits of Writing

Grade 3 Writing Curriculum Week by Week Lessons

100 Writing Lessons

And some other crazy ideas I came up with in my mind! (and Pinterest always helps as well..)

So here is the unit, it's very simple because I want these units to be able to flow with the needs of the students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment